Bioprocess Engineer / Senior Bioprocess Engineer
Champaign, IL, USA
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2023
Bioprocess Engineer / Sr. Bioprocess EngineerChampaign, ILBoston Bioprocess Inc.’s mission is to help fermentation product companies develop and scale up production. We are currently building our lab and pilot facility in Champaign IL and are looking for a highly motivated Bioprocess Engineer/Sr. Engineer to develop, manage and run fermentation projects.The Bioprocess Engineer/Sr. Engineer will actively participate in building and running lab and pilot. A successful candidate will lead/contribute efforts to help clients optimize their fermentation and DSP processes on both bench and pilot scales, with the goal of taking clients’ production processes into scalable commercial manufacturing.This role will work closely together with Head of Bioprocess in the development and improvement of fermentation and DSP processes for production of proteins, lipids, amino acids, organic acids, polysaccharides, hydrocolloids, and enzymes, using bacterial, yeast, and fungal hosts.This is a technical role, but it involves significant client interaction. We are a service business, and client retention and satisfaction are core to our business model. Prospective candidates should understand that success requires technical expertise, but it also involves empathy, prompt communication, and a general client-service orientation. Job Responsibilities
- Contribute and build the lab and pilot facility for precision fermentation and DSP, instill culture of safe operation
- Design, lead and run studies aimed at improving fermentation metrics and DSP KPIs through application of physiological principles and data analysis, while aligning the process conditions with the constraints of large-scale manufacturing
- Work closely with partnership facilities to scale up clients’ processes and products
- Actively participate in and contribute to a range of fermentation and DSP processes among bacteria, yeast, and filamentous fungi as the production organism from bench to pilot scale
- Contribute to continuous optimization of clients’ projects towards COGS glidepath and reaching production price parity
- Interfacing with clients and developing reports with clients, working closely with regulatory and process safety team as well as commercial partners
- BS with 2-5 years (or MS/PhD with 1-2 years) of fermentation scale up experience
- Hands-on experience on bench and pilot scale fermentation and DSP systems with the objective of providing understanding of microbial strain behavior and optimizing commercial fermentation and DSP processes
- Hands-on experience with one or a few of the unit operations including fed-batch fermentation, pilot centrifuges, TFF, mechanical cell lysis and spray drying
- Effective and excellent communication with clients, partners, and internal project management with both technical and non-technical personnel
- Proven ability to work with diverse, multidisciplinary teams and partners to effectively advance projects
- We are a startup! Prospective candidates should enjoy working in a small team with minimal bureaucracy.
- If you are highly motivated and enjoy fast-paced culture, can effectively work together with team members, partners, and clients in a collaborative environment to deliver project and business value, please come join us! You will have fun building the company with us!
- Relocation assistance
- Complete benefit package, including 401K match, ESOP, health, life, vision, and dental insurance, and four weeks paid vacation
- Competitive salary and compensation, including significant company stock options
- Sponsorship for work visas and immigration related support
See more open positions at Boston Bioprocess
Something looks off?