Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
Medical Laboratory Scientists at Carle Health utilize cutting-edge technology to perform and evaluate complex chemical, biological, and microscopic analyses. They collaborate with caregivers across the organization to ensure they have critical information needed to provide excellent patient care.
Opportunities for personal and professional growth include, a professional career ladder, a Laboratory partnership council, and the opportunity to participate in many different committees.
Laboratory Professionals as Carle Health practice at a Magnet-designated hospital, ranked as one of America’s 50 Best, where we utilize evidence-based practices to maintain the high-quality standards of Carle Health.
Bachelor's Degree in New grads must provide documentation of degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Chemical Science or Biological Science within twelve (12) weeks of hire.
Will also consider candidates with Associates in Medical Lab Technology
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Medical Laboratory Scientist (AMT) within 1 year or Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP) within 1 year or Medical Technologist (AMT) within 1 year or Medical Technologist (ASCP) within 1 year.
- Performs testing in the clinical laboratory for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease using standard techniques and equipment;
- Performs related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and using manual and automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests.
- Performs testing accurately, safely and within established time periods for routine, urgent and stat testing.
- Calibrates and performs routine maintenance on laboratory equipment and instrumentation according to laboratory protocols.
- Maintains laboratory supply inventory.
- Performs various Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations and protocols. Evaluates acceptability as associated with department testing.
- Communicates information with internal and external customers as appropriate in an accurate, timely, effective and professional manner.
- Recognizes problems that require additional troubleshooting, performs troubleshooting or seeks additional assistance as appropriate.
- Successfully participates in all accreditation and other proficiency testing and annual performance competencies.
- Develops educational materials and shares knowledge. Consistently shares any information obtained from external sources with co-workers. Educates students and new staff in assigned section.
- Assists with writing, evaluation, revisions and implementation of policies and procedures
- Completes Continuing Education as required by Lab policy and to maintain certification if applicable.
- Follows and maintains familiarity with laboratory and organizational policies and procedures. Reviews as required.
- Successfully completes and maintains all requirements for MLS level II as outlined in the Professional Laboratory Advancement Program.
- Successfully completes and maintains all requirements for MLS level III as outlined in the Professional Laboratory Advancement Program.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Performs testing in the following sections of the clinical laboratory: Blood Bank, Hematology, Chemistry, and Microbiology, including specimen processing. Manual and automated equipment will be used to perform analytical tests including but not limited to: Manual WBC and body fluid differentials, manual body fluid cell counts, specimen dilutions, gram stains, molecular assays, and antibody identification and titers.
- Notifies appropriate staff members of any calibration or equipment failures which cannot be immediately resolved.
- Maintain laboratory supply inventory, notifying appropriate laboratory staff when supplies are below established par levels.
- Reports any values outside of acceptable ranges that cannot be resolved to the appropriate laboratory staff member.
- Recognizes test result or instrument function problems that require additional troubleshooting, performs troubleshooting or seeks additional assistance as appropriate.