Inpatient RN - Oncology
Urbana, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The staff Registered Nurse (RN) is a professional caregiver who assumes responsibility for a group of patients for a designated time frame and provides care to these patients via the utilization of the nursing process, nursing trends, technology, financial and human resources within the philosophy of the institution.
Associate's Degree in Nursing or Diploma (Not HS) in Nursing
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Registered Professional Nurse (RN) License Illinois upon hire and Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days and Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Provider Certification within 1 year.
- Attend and satisfactorily complete all required continuing education regarding the care of acute stroke patients.
- Performs all responsibilities and duties required by unit as specific to the scope of service. Implements procedures and theories related to the specific area of practice. Maintains up-to-date and accurate documentation of nursing care provided to assure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team.
- Completes initial assessment upon patient admission and develops appropriate plan of care in accordance with unit standards and that is based on patient and family needs. Implements plan of care, nursing interventions, and patient care procedures. Modifies plan of care based upon continuous evaluation.
- Takes responsibility for patient and employee safety by reporting and/or correcting safety hazards and incidents.
- Communicates with others directly and in private when necessary to resolve issues. Offers constructive feedback to assist in the professional development of peers, and confers with colleagues to expand knowledge base. Identifies own learning needs and takes initiative to begin appropriate solution.
- Fulfills all requirements of departmental competencies.
- Appropriately perform patient care duties such as: head-to-toe assessments, start IVs, insert NG tubes, dressing changes, administer medications, insert foley catheters
- Access Mediports and maintain port throughout the shift
- Must maintain documentation standards as evidenced by passed quarterly chart audits
- Assist with bone marrow aspirations at the bedside
- Provide emotional support to patients and their families.
- Administer Chemotherapy/Biotherapy to patients not only on the Oncology unit but also throughout the hospital.
- Administer outpatient treatments to Oncology patients when the Outpatient Cancer Center is closed.