Patient Services Representative - Eye
Champaign, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Patient Services Representative 1 coordinates and participates in a variety of duties associated with daily clinic preparation process, patient identification, patient check in, charge posting, cash management and basic patient appointment scheduling. Conveys a positive image and provides information to ensure patients' needs are met.
Associate's Degree in Related Field or Experience in Lieu of Education - Three (3) years of experience in an office/customer service environment is an acceptable substitution for Associates degree.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Successful completion of medical terminology course within one (1) year of start date in position.
Previous public contact position, basic computer skills, and experience using fax machine, copier and other general office equipment.
- Successful completion of medical terminology course
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Strong communication skills; observes high standard of confidentiality; multiple tasks concurrently; memory for details; ability to prioritize and complete tasks under stressful conditions with interruptions; ability to accept and implement change and function in instances where decisions are not always apparent.
- Coordinates and participates in a variety of duties associated with daily clinic preparation process including: patient identification, patient check in/out, charge posting, cash management, patient appointment scheduling, patient registration and account set-up, phone calls.
- Competent in telephone system, takes and delivers messages to physicians, nurses and others. Reports medical information obtained from patients and referring physicians accurately, completely and in a timely manner. Distributes all messages according to practice communication standards.
- Serves as a role model by conducting self in a responsible, professional manner.
- Manage all incoming patient care requests related to in-basket activities, referrals, work que activity, and incoming telephone calls.
- Proficient with insurance coverage rules. Proficient with coverage and rules that apply to eligibility, network coverage, and benefits.
- Successful completion of mandatory insurance training and ongoing competency refreshers.
- Competent to initiate and secure prior authorizations as needed.