Urbana, IL, USA
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Medical Interpreter serves as a cultural and linguistic resource to both patients and providers by facilitating the successful delivery of patient care service to a linguistically diverse population. In this role the interpreter participates as a neutral party or as the conduit for information that must flow between Carle staff, and Limited English Proficiency (LEP) patients and/or their care providers.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Successful completion of interpreter skills assessment within 90 days of start date in position and reassessment of skills every three (3) years. AND Completion of medical terminology course required within one (1) year of employment.
Two (2) years previous public contact position required.
Familiarity with medical terminology, customer service skills and interpersonal skills. Performs highly complex and varied tasks requiring independent knowledge, its application to a variety of situations, and exercise of independent judgment. Ability to work with diverse populations from various cultural and economical backgrounds, and age groups. Ability to work as an effective member of a dedicated team. Ability to work in a fast paced healthcare environment with a variety of customer service needs. Accurate and appropriate interpretation skills at all times. Current Illinois driver's license with driving record suitable to traveling between all the various Carle locations.
- Facilitates communication between Carle staff and LEP patients in variety of modalities including in person, over the phone and video relay. Ensures that information pertaining to the patient's outpatient services, hospitalization, (i.e. advance directives, consents from treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, treatment plan, follow-up appointments and Health Care Education) are accurately communicated.
- Successfully complete the core Interpreter Services training requirements.
- Represent Interpreter Services and the organization in a positive and professional manner, exercising discretion at all times.
- Participate in on call coverage to provide interpretation services during non-business hours and business hours as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters related to patient care and visitor issues with LEP patients and their caregivers/families/escorts.
- Promote customer satisfaction related to Carle services; notify Supervisor of any issues that may be problematic for patients or Carle staff.
- Participate in continuing education programs and competency training to enhance professional role of Interpreter Services.