Certified Medical Assistant - CMA Dermatology
Champaign, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Certified Medical Assistant / Registered Medical Assistant performs routine administrative and patient care support duties in a medical practice to assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensures that the office runs smoothly.
High School Diploma/Equivalent
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Life Support (BLS) AND Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) OR Registered Medical Assistant (RMA). Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) from the following certification bodies: National Health Career Association (NHA), National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), American Allied Health (AAH) or The American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA). In addition, this certification requires: Successful completion of a Registered/Certified Medical Assistant (RMA / CMA) program OR Successful completion of Carle/Parkland Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) Academy.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Capacity to learn and retain information. Strong customer service skills. Compassion and caring in dealing with others. Ability to operate office equipment. Proficiency in basic computer skills.
- Rooming patients: Collecting pertinent information regarding the patient's chief complaint, family history, social history, surgical history, and medication reconciliation upon arrival for a patient visit.
- Telephone Interactions: As directed, completing necessary telephone communications with patients, families, pharmacies, and/or other health care facilities. Gathering information and maintaining patient information via telephone per department specific processes and policies.
- Administrative tasks including, but not limited to, patient check in or check out, prior authorizations, scheduling appointments, verification of benefits, and coordination of referrals and testing.
- Office procedures as directed and per department specific competencies. May perform procedures such as urine catheterizations, bladder scanning, suture or staple removal, application or removal of casts at the direction of a provider, reading results of negative TB skin tests or steering patient to the care of a department nurse when TB screening appears to have indications of a positive read, and other diagnostic testing at the point of care.
- Provide patient with written instructions regarding procedures, medications, or follow up instructions at the direction of the provider. CMA staff may retrieve and provide condition specific education from the internet, internal website, or printed materials per the provider directions and orders.
- Administer medications per the provider order.
- Provide assistance with prescription medication refills per department protocols. Call medications into pharmacies, notify patients of refills, and documents actions within the EMR per provider orders.
- Maintain department specific competencies related to point of care testing, equipment handling, and specialty training.
- Performs all essential functions of MA.
- Responsible for billing procedure.
- Obtaining prior authorization for specialty medications.
- Refilling medications per department protocol.
- Contacting patients with normal results.