Surg Tech 1 - Dig Hlth Ctr
Urbana, IL, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Surgical Technologist provides clinical support in the Digestive Health Center. As a member of the endoscopy team, the Surgical Technologist assists with patient care activities, obtains specimens, assists physician with instruments and setting up and tearing down room between cases. Role includes reprocessing of endoscopes and accessory instruments and resource for technical equipment within the department.
Associate's Degree in Surgical Technologist or Certificate in Surgical Technologist
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Excellent communication skills, hand/eye coordinator, knowledge of infection control principles. Independently scrubs basic surgical procedures. Demonstrates ability to problem solve in relation to the procedure being performed. Applied basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology, and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care. Applies basic knowledge of electricity, chemistry, computers, robotics, and lasers for optimal surgical patient care. Demonstrates knowledge and practice of patient care concepts and perioperative teamwork. Applies principles of sterile technique during surgical procedures.
- Assists in organization and coordination of supplies and equipment to maintain an efficient and cost effective department.
- Collects data on assigned patients as directed by the RN and the unit based performance standards.
- Performs accurate documentation duties on the nursing unit and in patient records as directed by unit based performance standards and guidelines.
- Applies the principles of asepsis in a knowledgeable manner to maintain a clean and/or sterile environment. Maintains separation of clean and dirty.
- Communicates effectively with team members and patients and families.
- Assists providers with procedures and treatments.
- Assists in cleaning and sterilization of instruments in accordance with unit and hospital policy and nursing society guidelines.
- Cleans and stocks exam and procedure rooms.
- Obtains specimens and transports in accordance to hospital policy.
- Resource for technical equipment within the department.
- Assists with inventory and restocking of supplies.
- Assists the physician with equipment needed to perform procedure.
- Prepares the procedure room with appropriate supplies and equipment.
- Reprocesses endoscopes.
- Assists the RN. Provides care to patients that is within their scope as directed by the RN.
- Assists the physician in collecting specimens.