Ophthalmic Assistant - Eye Department
Champaign, IL, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Ophthalmic Assistant is an unlicensed health professional who maintains department patient care supplies, ensures timely flow of patients, and assists physicians and nurses with patient screening, diagnostic testing, exams and in-office procedures. Demonstrates strong customer service skills and compassion and caring in dealing with others.
High School Diploma OR Equivalent
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
- Medical Terminology
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Capacity to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures. Strong customer service skills; self motivated and positive attitude.
- Completes initial patient screening. Documents pertinent patient information in EMR.
- Performs ophthalmic diagnostic testing and related tasks/duties using applicable equipment and methodology.
- Assists physicians and/or nursing staff with various procedures using appropriate techniques.
- Assists nurses with patient communication through the EMR worklist.
- Maintains patient care environment and supplies to ensure patient privacy and safety.
- Gathers medical records and patient information
- Performs Visual acuity screening
- Performs Ophthalmic preliminary and diagnostic tests
- Assists with in-office procedures
- Maintains and cleans ophthalmic instruments
- Instills eye drops
- Assist with patient scheduling
- Assist with training of other Ophthalmic Assistants