Sterile Processing Tech - Night
Urbana, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Sterile Processing Distribution (SPD) Technician is responsible for decontaminating, disassembling, cleaning, reassembling, packaging, and sterilizing instrumentation for surgical cases, clinics and the nursing units. Follows protocols to ensure equipment/instrumentation processing meets standards for AAMI and organizational Infection Control guidelines. Provides both disposable and reusable equipment to the Operating Room. Dispenses disposable supplies utilized in OR cases.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Basic computer skills. Understanding of Basic Medical Terminology. Ability to perform detail oriented work repetitiously for long periods of time. Ability to work in a fast paced environment. Ability to work in an environment that frequently responds to STAT and ASAP customer needs. Ability to perform tasks with minimal error. Must possess critical thinking skills and the ability to work independently.
- Performs the re-assembly and packaging of instrument sets accurately and efficiently and in accordance with department policies and procedures and/or the manufacturer's instructions for use.
- Performs manual and mechanical cleaning of reusable instrumentation and equipment.
- Inspects instruments for cleanliness. Inspects instruments for defects and proper functionality. Uses various electronic equipment to inspect electrosurgical instruments and cables for defects.
- Restocks Specialty Carts and Omnicells as necessary.
- Documents completed work and verifies processing parameters.
- Performs accurate documentation within the SPD Information system.
- Sterilize instrument sets in accordance with departmental policies and procedures and manufacture instructions for use (IFU).
- Pick supplies for same day/next day surgical cases.
- Answer telephone calls from internal and external customers.