Certified Medical Assistant / Patient Services Representative - CMA Mobile Health Clinic
Mahomet, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Patient Services Representative/Certified Medical Assistant coordinates and participates in a variety of duties associated with daily clinic preparation process, patient identification, patient check in/out, cash management, charge posting, and patient appointment scheduling. This employee also maintains department patient care supplies, ensures timely flow of patients, and assists physicians, advance practice providers, medical students, and nurses to provide optimal care to patients and families. The PSR/CMA will also participate and assist with maintenance and upkeep on the Mobile Health Clinic vehicle. Conveys a positive image and provides information to ensure patient's needs are met.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days and Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the following certification bodies: National Health Career Association (NHA), National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), American Allied Health (AAH) or The American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA). upon hire or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) from the following certification bodies: National Health Career Association (NHA), National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), American Allied Health (AAH) or The American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA). upon hire. Driver's License upon hire and CDL Driver's License Driving the Large Mobile Service Vehicles within 1 year and CDL Air Brake Endorsement within 1 year and Medical Examiner's Certification within 6 months.
Previous public contact position, basic computer skills, and experience using fax machine, copier and other general office equipment. Other experience will be taken into consideration.
- Successful completion of a Registered/Certified Medical Assistant (RMA / CMA) program OR Successful completion of Carle/Parkland Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) Academy.
- Successful completion of medical terminology course.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Strong communication skills; observes high standard of confidentiality; ability to deal with a large volume of calls and multiple tasks concurrently; memory for details; ability to prioritize and complete tasks under stressful conditions with interruptions; is creative, innovative, problem-solver and effective at leading change. Must be able to work independently as well as function as part of .the mobile service team. Interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively with staff members, regulatory agencies, and officials when conducting safety inspections
- Answers telephone, takes and delivers messages to physicians, nurses and others. Reports medical information obtained from patients and referring physicians accurately, completely and in a timely manner. Distributes all messages according to practice communication standards.
- Manage all incoming patient care requests related to in-basket activities, referrals, work queue activity, and incoming telephone calls.
- Competent and proficient with coverage and rules that apply to eligibility, network coverage, and benefits.
- Trained or competent to initiate and secure prior authorizations as needed.
- Ability to build and maintain EPIC schedules. Manage provider or department schedules: rescheduling patients, holding provider’s time off, monitoring the schedule for errors, making and submitting template changes to Cadence team.
- Rooming patients: Collecting pertinent information regarding the patient's chief complaint, family history, social history, surgical history, and medication reconciliation upon arrival for a patient visit.
- Telephone Interactions: As directed, completing necessary telephone communications with patients, families, pharmacies, and/or other health care facilities. Gathering information and maintaining patient information via telephone per department specific processes and policies.
- Provide patient with written instructions regarding procedures, medications, or follow up instructions at the direction of the provider. CMA staff may retrieve and provide condition specific education from the internet, internal website, or printed materials per the provider directions and orders.
- Administer medications per the provider order.
- Provide assistance with prescription medication refills per department protocols. Call medications into pharmacies, notify patients of refills, and documents actions within the EMR per provider orders.
- Administration of immunizations, PPD testing, nebulizer treatments, oral medication administration to patients age 0-150
- Obtain vital signs on patients of all ages to include weight, height, blood pressure, pulse ox, pulse.
- Assist with in office procedures per department needs including medication/allergy reconciliation.
- Assist with physical forms, DME forms as assigned. Assists with registration, reception, and data entry.
- Assists with follow up calls, inventory of supplies, and other administrative reports.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding and respect for the community to help grow and support the program and health system
- Supports policies, procedures, guidelines, and standards of the Carle Health System.
- Participates in review and analysis of reports for achievements and areas for improvement as well as quality improvement efforts.
- Adheres to established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Provides input and collaboration on departmental processes and policies.
- Performs health screenings, POC testing, health education, and other medical assistant duties specific to the mobile services setting.
- Assists in management of the Vaccines for Children regulations.
- Assists with updates on client contact information for the mobile service patients.
- Assists in the set up and tear down of the Mobile health clinic including the mobile vehicle, tents, waiting room tables and chairs, and assists with supply management (ordering and restocking).
- Assists in scheduling school visits in collaboration with the Mobile Services Manager.
- Assist passengers in boarding and disembarking from the vehicle in a safe manner
- Ensures safety on the mobile unit