Radiologic Technologist - Ortho/Sports Med
Champaign, IL, USA
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Radiologic Technologist performs diagnostic general radiological procedures utilizing various imaging equipment to assist in diagnosis of disease and injuries.
College Diploma Related Field or Certificate Radiologic Technology
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) Radiography License and American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) Radiography Registry w/in 1 year and Basic Life Support (BLS)
Positive attitude and demonstrated willingness to assess and improve work environment. Ability to perform multiple tasks while coordinating patient flow and a variety of technical procedures requiring independent judgment and initiative.
- Performs radiographic procedures by acquiring and processing patient exams in accordance with accreting bodies and/or manufacturer guidelines and as outlined in department protocols. Reviews cases with the radiologist when appropriate. Reviews labs and patient history to perform correct exam. Administers IV contrast and oral/rectal contrast when appropriate. Recognizes and responds to any adverse reactions or allergic reactions. Administers IV contrast material by means of existing IV line or by performing veni-puncture. Screens the patient for possibility of pregnancy and performs pregnancy testing if applicable.
- Responsible to review radiology orders for completeness and accuracy. Reviews patient history and supporting clinical data for medical necessity. Takes steps to acquire additional information if needed from the patient, ordering provider and/or Radiologist.
- Demonstrates acceptable imaging quality standards by critiquing positioning, technical factors and alignment. Reviews patient data for accuracy, quality and completeness.
- Transfers and verifies image data in PACS and provides necessary medical history and information for Radiologist interpretation. Utilizes the web servers and email systems to send exams for preliminary readings after hours.
- Responsible for maintaining imaging equipment and workplace environment including maintaining supply inventories and orderliness of work area. Recognizes malfunctions and service needs and reports service needs in a timely manner.
- Ensures patient, visitor and environmental safety. Reports safety events immediately including those that are a near miss.
- Assists in instruction of students and new staff as necessary. May perform duties of Rad Tech Lead or Imaging Coordinator in his/her absence.
- Meets productivity levels as established by department benchmarking. Assists other areas during downtimes so to maintain productivity.
- May be required to perform duties of other modalities within the department to which licensers are held by the technologist/sonographer.
- Complies with other job descriptions of cross-trained modalities also performed within the department.
- Required secondary registries are not required for cross trained modalities at HRHC unless otherwise required by specific compliance, licensure, or accrediting bodies.