Substitute School Bus Driver Trainee; multiple positions available
Champaign Unit 4 Schools
Champaign, IL, USA
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2023
- Positively transforming learning and life outcomes for students through educational justice, equity, and excellence.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must hold or be able to obtain a "Class B" CDL license and a School Bus Driver permit
- Must be able to pass the required criminal background check (Illinois State Police and FBI) for School Bus Drivers
- Must be able to pass the annually required drug and alcohol screenings and physical examination
- Good Human Relations & Communication Skills
- Pay rates for the District's substitute positions can be found on left side of the Human Resources page on our website (Departments > Human Resources).
- Any substitute (excluding those working in the Transportation Department and those already earning “Long Term” pay as a substitute teacher) who works fifteen (15) total assignments (whether full day or partial day) during any month school is in session will be paid a $50/month bonus.
- Substitutes who work at least 1,260 hours during the previous twelve (12) months are eligible to enroll in an insurance plan sponsored by the District. The District currently pays the FULL monthly Employee Only premium for this insurance coverage. Substitutes who qualify will have coverage for the next twelve (12) months.
- Substitute Driver Trainees hired after September 12, 2023 are eligible for a $2,500 Sign-On Bonus paid as follows:
- $750 will be paid after the employee has worked 25 days as a licensed Driver
- $750 will be paid after Day 50 as a licensed Driver
- $1,000 will be paid after Day 100 as a licensed Driver
- The District is accepting applications for this position on an ongoing basis. We continuously evaluate the number of employees in our Substitute pool and schedule interviews as needed.
- Substitute employment is on an at-will basis. Work is usually regularly available, however.
- Once candidates are hired for these positions, the District will provide all the training necessary for them to become licensed School Bus Drivers. This training includes "book training" to prepare candidates for written tests required by the Illinois Secretary of State as well as Behind the Wheel training to prepare candidates for the driving test required by the Illinois Secretary of State. Candidates are compensated for training time and many of the expenses required to secure the necessary license.
- Once fully licensed, candidates are encouraged (but not required) to apply for permanent work.
- Candidates interested in flexible scheduling and route options (AM routes only, PM routes only, Shuttles/Trips only, Early Childhood routes only, etc.) are encouraged to apply. We are willing to consider a schedule to meet your needs!
- Champaign Unit 4 Schools serves over 10,000 PreK-Young Adult students in 18 facilities, which include twelve elementary schools, three middle schools, two high schools, one early childhood facility, and the Novak Academy. Located conveniently near Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis, Champaign residents enjoy the entertainment and intellectual activity of a large city, without the higher costs of living and lengthy commute times often associated with busy city/suburban life. The University of Illinois provides the excitement of Big 10 sporting events, a thriving business environment, and world-class entertainment at State Farm Center and the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Champaign is characterized by a thriving downtown and campustown, shopping centers and boutiques, award-winning restaurants, neighborhood parks, live music venues, and summer festivals. We also share many museums, galleries, and theatres with the adjacent city of Urbana.
- If you want to learn more about this position or other career opportunities in Champaign Unit 4 Schools, please contact our Assistant Director of Human Resources & Employee Engagement, Ms. Nancy Whitehouse, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your résumé.