Senior Flight Instructor
Senior Flight Instructor
Full consideration will be given to applications received by 12/11/2023. Applications will be evaluated as received. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
A start date is expected in the Spring of 2024.
This position is a Full-Time, 175-Day, Exempt appointment.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Senior Flight Instructor teaches Institute of Aviation students in airplanes and in the classroom, assesses student performance, and supervises student flying activities. Additionally, the Senior Flight Instructor mentors and supervises non-tenured flight instructors and assists the Director in administering the program. The Senior Flight Instructor position is intended for career aviation educators.
Applicants must submit:
- An online employment application
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Copy of official transcripts from the institution where you received your highest degree. If hired, certified official transcript is required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide flight instruction to pilots enrolled in Institute of Aviation flight courses in accordance with the approved syllabus, to include pre-flight and post-flight briefings and maintaining training records for assigned students.
- Teach Institute of Aviation courses assigned in accordance with approved syllabus and training course outlines. Inform students of course regulations, evaluation procedures, and other information pertinent to the course. Prepare a course syllabus for each classroom course taught and distribute it at the beginning of each term.
- Perform professional duties in accordance with the established policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular office hours to ensure availability for student consultation, advising, and mentoring. Assist students in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate scholastic records. Submit required reports on student progress according to deadlines.
- Administer stage checks and end-of-course tests as assigned when qualified as assistant chief instructor or check instructor.
- Supervise and mentor the line flight instructors and their students.
- Participate in departmental governance including curriculum development, instructional materials selection, and academic assessment.
- Participate in college-wide shared governance, including Parkland College Association (PCA) Senate, its committees, administrative committees, and accreditation committees.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Participate in professional development activities related to discipline knowledge or teaching skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director, Institute of Aviation.
- Work toward eligibility and qualification as Assistant Chief Instructor in accordance with 14 CFR §141.36 beginning the first semester of employment.
- Maintain all required professional and medical qualifications.
- Be able to work a flexible schedule that includes evening and weekend assignments.
- Be able to learn the Parkland College information system and new programs as technology changes.
- Hold an associate degree in a related field at time of application; Receive a bachelor’s degree in a related field prior to tenure determination.
- Hold an FAA Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot certificate with Airplane Single Engine Land and Instrument Airplane ratings at the time of application or within 4 months of employment.
- Hold or obtain within 4 months of employment a current FAA Flight Instructor Certificate with Airplane Single Engine and Instrument Airplane ratings.
- Hold or obtain within 4 months of employment a current FAA Second Class Medical Certificate.
- Have 1000 hours flight time in airplanes.
- Pass a criminal background check which with fingerprinting.
- In an effort to comply with SURS return-to-work restrictions for employers (40 ILCS 5/15-139.5), candidates for employment at Parkland College must either not be a SURS annuitant or must be willing to suspend his/her SURS annuity upon employment. This applies to all SURS annuitants except those receiving their annuity under either the Self-Managed Plan (SMP) or by lump sum payment.
Robust benefits, including medical insurance with no monthly premiums, dental, life, disability, retirement plans, flexible spending, dependent care, EAP, work/life balance with generous paid time off, and tuition waiver.
Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Applications not submitted through https://www.parkland.edu/careers will not be considered.
Please monitor your email, including spam or junk mail folders, for future correspondence from Parkland College Human Resources.
For further information application process, please contact at 217-351-2220.
Applicants with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process.
Requests may be submitted by contacting Human Resources at 217-351-2220 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer