Digital Writer -- Gies College of Business
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Marketing & Communications
Gies College of Business at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is seeking applicants for a Digital Writer to join our growing team of more than 20 marketing professionals. If hired, you will work closely with designers, writers, videographers, marketing managers, and others on a team that functions as an in-house marketing agency. We are looking for a versatile writer who is passionate about reaching a variety of audiences through strategic and engaging writing. Candidates shouldbe able to produce high-quality, clear, and on-brand messaging in a fast-pacedteam environment, while adhering to deadlines and paying close attention todetail.
Creativity,strategy, and collaboration are key to our team's success as we grow thereputation and brand of Gies Business, a Top 5 public business school and hometo 2021 Business School Dean of the Year. At Gies, we’re on a mission to expandlife-changing access to education and bring value to society through excellencein scholarship, teaching, and innovation. If you’d like to be part of a teamwhere your skills can shine and you’ll be empowered to do your best work, thisposition could be a great fit for you.
The Digital Writer will be a key part of the marketing and communications team focused on audience-first writing for web, social media, and other digital channels. This position provides the opportunity to produce compelling copy from concept to completion – aligning that content with Gies' strong brand platform – under the direction of a director of communications and director of digital media and in coordination with a senior brand writer and team leads.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Write, edit, and update copy for the Gies Business external and internal website and other digital channels, working with other team members to ensure that it is clear, concise, and effective in conveying our message to our target audience.
- Apply SEO and keyword research to web copy to improve search engine visibility.
- Create content for other marketing channels, such as email campaigns, social media posts, newsletters, and other communications.
- Collaborate with creative director, senior brand writer, director of digital media, team leads and others to ensure that web copy is audience-focused, visually appealing, and optimized for search engines.
- Work closely with stakeholders, including faculty, staff, and students, to ensure their voices and perspectives are represented in the website copy.
- Collaborate with director of insights and strategy to collect and verify data and other information for the website.
- Ensure all web copy meets brand standards.
- Contribute to and coordinate the release of College internal and external digital communications (event invitations, Engage with Gies, Gies Quarterly, Bottom Line, etc.).
- Collaborate with team leads to write, update, and review copy on our internal student website (Gies Groups).
- Generate story ideas and write creative stories that highlight students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Collaborate with and support existing writers, providing ideation, editing, and production assistance as needed.
- Collaborate closely with team members in a variety of roles to launch and produce highly effective deliverables.
- Participate in brainstorming and other creative activities to develop strong ideas and solutions.
- Take direction and use feedback from team members to grow and improve.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proofread and edit copy to ensure accuracy, consistency, and adherence to brand standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
- Two (2) years of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, or professional copywriting.
- Demonstrated experience in copywriting across a variety of channels.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have at least two years of demonstrated experience in writing and editing print, digital, and other written materials.
- Candidate should exhibit excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with a diligent eye for detail, language, flow, and grammar.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices and keyword research is a plus.
- Must be able to work independently, managing several projects at a time while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5004 - Marketing Associate position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the search close date. Salary is commensurate with experience, withthe base salary starting at $55,000. Position may work in a hybrid home/officeenvironment as agreed upon by supervisor. A path for professional growth isembedded in this and every position in the Gies Office of Marketing andCommunications.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on September 19, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Candidates willbe required to upload a resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and threesamples of their original copywriting work. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Requisition ID: 1019829
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu