Associate Dean for Research and Innovation - Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Associate Dean for Research and Innovation - Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illinois) and Carle Health System (Carle) have embarked on an exciting endeavor by creating the nation’s first engineering-based college of medicine. In partnership, Carle and Illinois are seeking an exceptional leader to serve as Associate Dean for Research and Innovation. As a member of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine executive leadership team, this position will provide strategic leadership for policies and procedures related to research and innovation, with responsibility to further foundational, translational, educational and clinical research. The Associate Dean for Research and Innovation reports to the Dean.
This is a rare opportunity to join an enthusiastically engaged, multi-disciplinary group of academic scholars, health care professionals, and specialists in medical education at the intersection of engineering, biological, and clinical sciences at the world’s first engineering-based medical school. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative position. Consideration for a faculty appointment in the college (non-tenured or tenured) will be based on the individual’s qualifications and interests; opportunities may also exist for concurrent appointment in another University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign college. All tenured appointments must go through standard college and campus tenure review and there is no guarantee for tenure implied. For applicants that are practicing clinical physicians, a partial-time clinical faculty appointment will be considered as well. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications; the start date is anticipated to be soon after the close of the search.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Oversee the research enterprise of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine; serve a critical role in informing and leading initiatives that ensure the College meets its strategic goals in research and education.
· Recommend and implement the research infrastructure of the college.
· Increase NIH, NSF, and Corporate Grant funding for the College of Medicine year over year.
· Help with recruitment of strategic clinician-scientist faculty to the college and increase the number of research scientists employed by Carle Illinois.
· Work collaboratively to develop all areas related to the research portfolio of the college, aligning research objectives with the strategic priorities of the college, involving Carle research support staff in discussions and partnership planning for research and innovation projects.
· Support engineering-based medical education, engage with students, and collaborate with Carle Illinois academic departments (Clinical Sciences, and, Biomedical and Translational Sciences), and units, to develop and provide advice related to research, including faculty research development and engagement, staff recruitment, infrastructure, budgets, and funding opportunities. Meet regularly with departmental and unit level leadership in these areas.
· In collaboration with other college units, promote faculty development in innovation, research, and research-related recruitment of faculty and staff.
· Work closely with leadership in the office of research and innovation to foster research activities in the college, including collaboration, leadership and oversight of Maker Lab spaces and wet lab and translational lab spaces within the college.
· Collaborate with other members of the college's senior leadership team to recommend, establish and implement policies and procedures to encourage and facilitate research for faculty, students, and staff.
· Oversee college innovation and research events, including annual (fall and spring) Health Make-A-Thon competitions, Innovation Grand Rounds, Bleeding Edge Grand Rounds, the Health Innovation Research Day, the Cozad New venture Challenge, and Student Data-Science and Capstone Research project presentations.
· Oversee the design and implementation of student research and innovation projects in partnership with other college faculty and leadership.
· Partner with the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the college to engage community groups and individuals for participation in Health Make-a-Thon activities with translation of ideas and innovations.
· Provide leadership to the Carle Illinois Research Advisory Board; collaborate with campus, regional, national and international researchers and engage the advisory board as part of the college's research enterprise.
· Oversee the Carle Illinois Research Mentors program; connect students with world-class faculty to provide students with high touch/high impact training and mentorship opportunities.
· Oversee and manage the Student Publication Fund award process; a process by which students can request funding support for publication fees associated with their research, case studies, and manuscripts.
· Oversee the Innovation Pathway Program; review, monitor, and manage this small-grant program for students.
· Work to grow the MD/PhD and other dual degree programs that include student research.
· Seek out and support funding opportunities for research, partnering with Carle Illinois Advancement as appropriate. Opportunities may bridge Carle Illinois to other colleges and/or units, and to Carle or other clinical affiliates.
· Seek out and support translational entrepreneurial activities to advance student, faculty, and Health Make-a-Thon ideas (from the campus and community) toward intellectual property and patent filing, licensing, and start-up companies. Work closely with the Office of Technology Management, our Research Park, Carle Illinois Advancement, and venture capital firms and investors.
· Expand Corporate and Philanthropic funding of research in the college.
· In consultation with departmental and unit leadership, and with other members of the senior leadership team of the College, prepare and recommend research budgets.
· Interact as appropriate with all levels of university administration and assist the Dean in representing the research trajectory of the College.
· Support and facilitate collaborative research per the Research Affiliation Agreement supported by the campus and the Carle Foundation, its affiliates, and subsidiaries.
· In conjunction with the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, share oversight and management of external research proposal submissions, grants, and contracts.
· In consultation with the college senior leadership team, oversee shared-equipment and shared-facility policies and procedures, prioritizing utilization of technological and clinical equipment; oversee development and design of new student innovation spaces in the Medical Sciences Building and elsewhere on campus.
· In conjunction with the Associate Dean of Advancement, share oversight and management of industry-supported research and relational agreements with the college.
· Oversee research-related regulatory and compliance issues for Carle Illinois College of Medicine, in compliance with federal and state requirements, campus/University and Carle Health Care Systems requirements and guidelines. This includes collaboration with the University's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Institutional Biosafety Committee, Institutional Research Board matters, and other University and Carle research and safety related regulatory groups.
· Oversee compliance with relevant Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) standards and participate in ongoing accreditation activities.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
· Serve as a member of the College's Executive Leadership Team and other teams and task forces as designated by the Dean. As needed, attend other meetings of the college as well as joint and/or external committees and groups.
· As a member of the College’s leadership, help foster a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. Support diversity in all aspects of the educational experience and foster positive collegial relationships among students, staff, and faculty.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively and collegially with others in a manner consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect; support and engage in equal employment opportunity principles, rules, and regulations.
· Champion positive inter-professional relationships bridging the College's private/public organization and missions.
· Perform other related duties or projects as assigned to further the mission of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
This is a 100% full-time Academic Professional position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 11/1/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
For full consideration, applicant materials (including a CV/resume, cover letter, and a minimum of three (3) professional references) should be received by no later than . Apply by Tuesday, October 3rd, 2023 (extended) for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1019873
Job Category: Research
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu