Design Specialist - Strategic Communications and Marketing (STRATCOM)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Strategic Communications and Marketing (STRATCOM)The University of IllinoisUrbana-Champaign has many stories to tell. From Nobel Prize-winning theories tobiomedical innovations to the birthplace of special education and accessibilitystandards, we have a 150+ year tradition as a place where people refuse toaccept “that's just how it is” as a suitable reason to stop asking hardquestions. This is a university that forces the world to redefine the word“impossible” on a regular basis. The Strategic Communications and Marketingteam at Illinois leads that storytelling through many channels, through ourdesign and brand implementation.
We’re looking for a designprofessional to contribute to our newly restructured unit. This position willplay an essential role in building and implementing our Illinois brand withinour unit and units across campus. This position will also help create andexecute StratCom design projects that effectively reach our target audiencesand advance our university goals and priorities.
Job SummaryDesign beautiful and impactful marketing and branding communications material that strengthen the Illinois brand.
Duties & Responsibilities
Design Service to Campus Units
- Provide design support for marketing & communications teams across campus to strengthen the university’s brand rollout and implementation.
- Advance the Illinois brand by serving as an expert on visual design. Assist campus communicators by creating templates and helping them implement the brand in their materials.
- Present work to clients clearly and efficiently, helping them understand the creative response to the project’s goals and audiences.
- Collaborate with outside vendors such as video producers, photographers and printers as needed.
Design and Problem Solving
- Work with the design team to produce branded designs for digital and print.
- Create visual interface design mockups for the web that show proof of concept and finalize them into high-quality completed screens for a front-end developer to implement.
- Work with the design team to advance university brand standards.
- Research trends in graphic design, typography, web design and more and implement in the brand and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, radio/television broadcasting, web/digital media, or a related field.
- One (1) year (12 months) of professional work experience in public relations, journalism, social media communications, newspaper reporting, radio/television broadcasting with emphasis on production, or web/digital media that included graphic design experience.
- Two to three years graphic design experience.
- Knowledge of higher education setting.
Successful candidates will have:
- Advanced skills in current design software including Adobe Creative Cloud. Excellent visual design and communication skills.
- Knowledgeable in Sketch, Figma or other industry-standard web design programs.
- Strong aesthetic sense with a deep understanding of how design communicates through layout, typography, color, photography and illustration.
- Ability to clearly and consistently organize, manage and present complex information.
- Working understanding of printing processes, photography and typography.
- Knowledge and ability to prepare files for print and communicate with printers.
- Outstanding conceptual design skills with experience in illustration, motion graphics or digital animation.
- Ability to use design to help audiences better understand complex concepts or ideas.
- Ability to design usable and accessible visual Interfaces for the web that leverage current visual design practices for web in desktop and mobile devices.
- Ability to collaborate seamlessly with front-end developers to ensure interface design specifications were carried out as designed.
- Understanding of best practices for accessible and responsive design in digital environments.
- Oral and written and interpersonal communication skills, organizational abilities.
- Ability to work independently while producing accurate work on deadline while exercising discretion and judgment.
- Keep up to date with changing technologies.
- Ability to work in a team-based, collaborative environment with limited supervision.
- Ability to multitask, often with frequent interruptions.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5006 - Public Information Associate position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must bereceived by 6:00 pm (CST) on Monday, October 2, 2023. Apply for this positionusing the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Upload your cover letter, resume, a PDF or link to yourportfolio and names/contact information for three references. Immigration sponsorships are not available,and this position requires residency in the State of Illinois within 6 monthsof hire.
To be considered as atransfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications notsubmitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not beconsidered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation ofcredentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. Forfurther information about this specific position, please contact Pam Steelepamw@illinois.edu. For questions regarding the application process, pleasecontact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Requisition ID: 1020072
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu