IU Board Programming Coordinator
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
IU Board Programming Coordinator
Applications are now being accepted for the IU Board Programming Coordinator position for Illini Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
As the community center of the University, the Illini Union draws together all members of the University with approximately 16,000 visits of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests on a daily basis. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds who can help create and foster communities that strive toward this vision. This includes supporting the academic mission of the University by developing environments conducive to student learning and academic success, respecting, appreciating, and advocating for the diversity of our student population, and supporting the holistic development of all our students.
Job Summaryimplementation and execution of the Illini Union Board (IU Board), Illini Union, and University programs as well as leadership development of IU Board members. Works with fellow Student Programs and Activities (including the Courtyard Café) staff to develop programs and events geared to the general student body as well as the campus community for the Illini Union and related facilities. This includes actively seeking co-sponsorship with and serving as a resource to Registered Student Organizations and University departments seeking to partner with the Illini Union to provide programs for the campus community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- STRATEGIC OPERATIONS
1. Serves as the staff advisor to assigned programming/event-planning committees of the Illini Union Board. Provide students with opportunities to develop leadership and programming skills; ensure compliance with Illini Union and campus policies and procedures; provides direction for the planning and promotion of events and activities.
2. Along with fellow Student Program & Activities (including the Courtyard Café) staff, serves as a staff member responsible for creation and implementation of programs executed within the Illini Union organization.
3. Provides education and appropriate training to IU Board members on parliamentary and all other procedures, as related to the governance and operation of the Illini Union Board in support of established student learning outcomes.
4. Assists with various IU Board budget development and financial expenditures, ensuring that expenditures are accounted for appropriately and are within approved budgets. Processes payment requests in accordance to University policies and processes, including use of University payment systems. Provides regular financial reports.
5. Responsible for budget development and financial expenditures for programs under direct supervision of the program advisor.
6. Participates in solicitation and contract negotiations for entertainment and responsible for routing of contracts in University system. Maintain accurate records and documents.
7. Supervises the development and publication of marketing materials for all IU Board events and a selection of Illini Union events.
8. Serves as a resource person to various groups, including Illini Union Board members and volunteers, Illini Union staff, Registered Student Organizations, and U of I departments.
9. Attends meetings and events associated with the Illini Union, Illini Union Board, Illini Union Student Programs & Activities Office, and the Division of Student Affairs.
10. Liaison to all Board members and Illini Union students and staff regarding programmatic, administrative, and policy issues. Provides necessary guidance, education, and challenge and support to students by attending meetings, events, and activities both on- and off- campus.
11. Addresses risk management concerns as related to Illini Union and Illini Union Board programs and activities.
12. Contributes to development of assessment tools that measure impact of activities in advancement of established student learning outcomes.
13. Create and engage strategic partnerships through a variety of student involvement initiatives focused on the development of a vibrant campus life and positively impact student persistence, retention, and graduation rates.
14. Represents the Illini Union on a variety of Student Affairs committees and develops cooperative relationships with other university departments in support of Student Affairs and the Illini Union.
15. Supports all aspects of Student Programs & Activities operations as necessary.
16. Analyzes trends within program areas and maintains expert awareness.
17. Performs other duties and additional responsibilities as assigned.
Additional Physical Demands• Most work will be accomplished in a typical office work environment
• Hours of work are as necessary to accomplish the position’s responsibilities assigned. Work hours will include evenings and weekends.
• Must be able to work under pressure in stressful situations, and be able to work on numerous projects simultaneously.
• Limited lifting required when managing files, publication materials, and event supplies.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Two (2) years of education, training, and/or work experience in college student activities, development, and/or event-planning. Master's degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year of work experience.
• A Master’s degree plus two years of experience in student activities/development/event-planning as a student or professional.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of the process of advising and supervising college students; an awareness of current needs, trends and issues in the area of Higher Education, College Student Affairs and College Student Activities; and a familiarity with human psychology, college student development theory and group dynamics principles.
- Requires an understanding of and commitment towards issues regarding inclusivity.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5002 - Program Coordinator position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 10/31/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience, with the minimum salary at $45,000.00 per year. This position will usually follow a work schedule of Monday - Friday 9am to 6pm, there may be evening and weekends required based on operational needs.
Internal Search Number: IUJ103
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on October 31, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact Shared AHW Human Resources at email@example.com or (217)333-3660. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1020517
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu