Associate Chancellor/Vice Provost for Finance, Budget, and Capital Resources
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Associate Chancellor/Vice Provost for Finance, Budget, and Capital Resources
Office of the Chancellor and Office of the Provost
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (U of I), a preeminent public research university of the University of Illinois System, seeks an Associate Chancellor/Vice Provost for Finance, Budget, and Capital Resources who will embrace the opportunities and challenges associated with expanding excellence at a premier land-grant institution.
Founded in 1867 as one of the nation’s original public land-grant institutions of higher education, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign offers transformative undergraduate and graduate education, conducts ground-breaking research, engages in significant extension and public outreach activities, provides unique continuing education and online learning opportunities, and promotes a diverse learning environment that welcomes, cultivates, and respects the contributions of all. As a major national research university and member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) with a strong foundation in both the STEM areas and the liberal arts, U of I is known nationally and internationally for excellence in education, passion for discovery, and a tradition of public service. U of I offers a collegial intellectual community that draws students and scholars from around the world. Research is a key economic driver in the state and U of I has numerous close collaborations with major industries across Illinois. The university uses a modified activity-based model for allocating resources. The university’s FY24 operating budget is nearly $3.36 billion. In FY23, U of I researchers’ cumulative grant expenditures totaled $725 million.
The campus community includes approximately 35,000 undergraduate students; 21,000 graduate and professional students; 3,250 tenure-system and specialized faculty members; 3,900 academic professionals; and 4,300 staff members. The campus is home to 16 colleges and schools that address a variety of disciplines and fields including: College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences; College of Applied Health Sciences; Gies College of Business; College of Education; Grainger College of Engineering; College of Fine and Applied Arts; Graduate College; School of Information Sciences; School of Labor and Employment Relations; College of Law; College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; College of Media; Carle Illinois College of Medicine; School of Social Work; the University Library; and the College of Veterinary Medicine. With over 500,000 alumni from around the world, Illinois fully embraces its global presence while remaining committed to its land-grant heritage.
The Associate Chancellor/Vice Provost for Finance, Budget, and Capital Resources provides strategic budget planning and allocation advice to the Chancellor and Provost; guidance and leadership to campus in areas related to budget, finance, planning, and resource allocation; leadership and management of the campus budget office; and serves as the Campus’s chief financial officer and a member of the Chancellor’s and Provost’s leadership teams. The campus budget and finance office is a unit of the Office of the Provost.
The duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Lead the development, implementation, and assessment of the campus's short- and long-term financial strategies; analyze, interpret, and communicate information pertaining to the financial performance of the university; make recommendations concerning the strategic allocation of resources, business processes, and policies; develop strategies to improve financial performance and efficiency; identify trends and changes in resources and expenditures that may require action.
- Identify and develop solutions for complex and systemic problems.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the Operational Excellence @ Illinois Initiative.
- Work with the Chancellor and Provost to develop and implement operating and capital budgets.
- Provide oversight of campus financial, budgetary and resource planning, including capital plans, debt management, and cash flow optimization.
- Direct the management of financial operations of the campus. Support decision-making by providing the data and analyses needed to ensure the effective use of university resources.
- Monitor campus reserves and arrange availability of funds to units, as directed by the Chancellor and Provost.
- Oversee the staffing and support the campus budget committees (Budget Reform Steering Committee, Campus Budget Oversight Committee, Administrative Budget Committee) and serve in an ex officio capacity on the Senate Budget Committee.
- Assist collegiate units as needed in their financial planning and management. Develop unit-level relationships.
- Provide data-informed leadership developed through partnership, communication, trust, consistency, and efficiency, allowing strong data practices and policies that will support effective data-informed decision making at all levels.
- Serve as Treasurer for the University of Illinois Research Park, LLC.
- Serve on the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) and other external working groups.
- Oversee the Division of Management Information.
Insight and Innovation
- Lead continuous improvement efforts related to the campus budget model and system.
- Model campus values and engage in transparent, collaborative stewardship and communication across the campus.
- Foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace environment where leadership and employees are motivated to advance the goals of the university, respond creatively to change, and maintain sound business practices.
- Serve as a role model, respecting and valuing diverse leadership and working styles and fostering a culture that rewards service and creativity, leading with empathy, and the ability to navigate issues with sensitivity.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships across the University.
- Lead campus budget office operations and staff, including the annual campus budget process, development of annual and multi-year funding models and analysis, and general financial oversight of the Urbana-Champaign campus.
- Partner with departments/colleges to collate comprehensive, accurate data and develop metrics and measures for success and consistent reporting to ensure transparency and help raise financial literacy across the University to support clear strategic decision-making at all levels.
- Work with vice chancellors, deans, and academic fiscal officers to understand unit needs, collect budget information, and provide advice to the Chancellor and Provost regarding budget and funding requests.
The Associate Chancellor/Vice Provost for Finance, Budget, and Capital Resources will have a bachelor’s degree and ten or more years of progressively responsible fiscal management experience including leading an organization in the development and implementation of its financial strategies and overseeing an organization’s fiscal administration and budget; the demonstrated ability to formulate and implement financial strategies to meet institutional priorities; experience working within electronic financial systems; exceptional interpersonal skills; a record of successful supervision; excellent verbal, written, organization and critical thinking skills; demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives; experience in a large and complex organization; and commitment to the mission and vision of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. The successful candidate will be a solutions-oriented leader, comfortable with leveraging the tools available and interested in exploring opportunities for additional resources and support to gain efficiencies across the university.
Other desirable qualifications for the next Associate Chancellor/Vice Provost include a master’s degree; familiarity with the organization, culture, and environment of higher education institutions; and experience navigating the financial landscape in higher education.
Candidates with an earned doctorate (or terminal degree) and distinguished record of research, teaching, and scholarly accomplishments may be considered for an accompanying tenure-eligible faculty appointment.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. The University strongly encourages nominations of, as well as applications from, women and individuals traditionally underrepresented in academia and leadership. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, applications should be received by November 27, 2023. Candidates should provide a CV/resume and a letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described above along with a minimum of three professional references. All inquiries, nominations/referrals, and applications should be sent electronically to:
Rebecca Kennedy, Partner (she/her/hers)
Becky Piper, Managing Associate (she/her/hers)
Iliana Gonzalez, Senior Associate (she/her/hers)
Elizabeth Arvanitis, Search Coordinator (she/her/hers)
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1020840
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu