Teaching Professor (Open Rank), Lecturer, or Instructor in Veterans' Health - School of Social Work
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
(Open Rank), Lecturer or Instructor in Veterans’ Health
School of Social
of Social Work at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is looking for
a dynamic and innovative individual to join our faculty as a Teaching Professor
(open rank), Lecturer, or Instructor in military social work and veterans’
health. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in advancing the
discovery, learning, and outreach missions of the School of Social Work. The faculty member will help to develop and
teach coursework for a new veterans’ health specialization for MSW students,
providing them with the opportunity to specialize in this critical area. Applicants
may also be asked to teach in other areas within the social work curriculum. We
are especially interested in candidates whose research, teaching, and service demonstrate
anti-racism, anti-oppressive practice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Additionally, the faculty member will collaborate with the Master of Public Health (MPH) program at the College of Applied Health Sciences to help design a certificate on veterans’ health composed of current and newly developed courses from the MPH and MSW programs. They will also help to develop and teach an online post-master’s professional certificate on veterans’ health for a wide range of professionals who work with veterans and their families, including social workers, counselors, and healthcare providers. These certificates will cover topics such as social policies, health care approaches and systems, mental health interventions, psychosocial adjustment models, assistive technologies, and college transition strategies relevant to veterans. The faculty member may also have opportunity to collaborate with campus partners such as the Military Service Knowledge Collaborative (MSKC) at the Chez Veterans Center to help establish a Research and Engagement Consortium on virtual reality therapy and veterans’ mental health.
This is a 9-month, 100%-time specialized faculty, non-tenure-track position. Hybrid and remote work opportunities may be considered for this position.
This is a career-oriented position with clear tracks for promotion and professional development. Applicants eligible for Instructor must have a Master's degree by time of appointment. Applicants eligible for Teaching Professor (open rank) or Lecturer must have a PhD by the time of appointment. These degrees should be in social work or a related field such as public health or psychology.
Additional Qualifications Include:
- Demonstrated expertise in veterans' health or mental health relevant to the practice of social work or public health
- Prior experience in curriculum development, online course design, and teaching at the graduate level is highly desirable and preferred
- An interest in conducting or contributing to research on veterans' health and mental health
- Strong commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration and ability to work effectively with diverse groups of students, faculty and professionals
- Military experience or veteran status is preferred
- Interest in innovative human-computer interaction tools to support veteran mental health and wellness is highly desirable
- Collaborate with faculty in the MPH and MSW programs to design and implement the certificate on veterans' health and a new MSW veterans' health specialization
- Lead the development and delivery of an online post-graduate certificate on veterans' health, reaching a broad and diverse market of professionals
- Potentially help to establish a research and engagement consortium on veterans' mental health
- Contribute to the University's outreach efforts, engaging with external partners, organizations, and agencies involved in veterans' health and well-being
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on November 27, 2023. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the job posting closes. Salary is commensurate with experience. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. Please upload all required documents, including:
- Cover letter, including a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in veterans' health
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching statement
- Names and contact information for three professional references
For further information about this specific position, please contact email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1021218
Job Category: Faculty
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu