Teaching Associate- Mathematics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Teaching Associate- Mathematics
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for the position of Teaching Associate in Mathematics at University Laboratory High School. This is a 9-month, renewable, non-tenure track academic staff appointment at the University of Illinois. Salary is commensurate with degree and experience. This position would begin August 2024 after the successful completion of a criminal background check.
University Laboratory High School is a 5-year public school for approximately 325 select students. A laboratory mission of innovative curriculum development, outreach to other schools and the community, and/or involvement with professional organizations is part of the overall job responsibilities.
The Teaching Associate position is
covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the Board of Trustees of
the University of Illinois and the Uni Faculty Organization/IEA-NEA union. For
more information regarding the contract, please go to: https://humanresources.illinois.edu/hrprofessionals/labor-and-employee-relations/performance-management/uni-high-teaching-assoc.html.
• Teaching assigned courses (ranging from Math 1—mostly algebra, with some geometry and trig—through second-year Calculus) to academically talented students.
• Developing innovative curriculum and math education research projects. Presenting at professional conferences or workshops and/or participating in outreach.
• Supporting/coaching math teams for math competitions.
The position also entails school activities normally required of teachers, such as attendance at faculty meetings, committee work, and non-classroom duties.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or Mathematics Education. Candidates with a bachelor's degree in a related field may be considered.
• Substantial coursework in mathematics, with ability to teach Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, and Calculus (including multi-variable).
• Graduate degree in Mathematics
• Experience effectively teaching diverse and academically talented students.
• Ability to teach high school statistics covering topics that include the AP Statistics syllabus
• Illinois teaching certificate (secondary mathematics).
• Evidence of effective and creative secondary teaching experience, evidence of integration of technology into instruction, and experience in developing innovative instructional materials.
• Knowledge of alternative assessment strategies, such as standards-based grading, and non-traditional teaching practices.
• Knowledge of, and/or experience with, secondary mathematics curriculum developments in the last decade, to include understanding of content and practice standards (Common Core or Illinois Learning Standards) from grades 6-12.
• Evidence of enthusiasm for interdisciplinary learning and/or experience with cross-disciplinary curriculum initiatives.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on January 8, 2024. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. For full consideration please upload the following-
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references
- Sample lesson plans and examples of innovative classroom activities or materials developed by the candidate.
Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. Interviews may begin prior to the close of the search, however, no hiring decision will be made prior to the close date. For further information about this specific position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1021328
Job Category: Faculty
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu